Tuesday 11 July 2017

EVERLASTING by Jo Carroll @jomcarroll

4.5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com


How I discovered this book: A few years ago I won one of Jo Carroll's travel memoirs in a blog competition, and I've bought all her books ever since!

This time Jo spends six weeks in Malawi, and the 'Everlasting' of the title refers to her sixty year old guide ~ that is him on the cover. 😀



What I love about Jo Carroll's books is that they read as though she's written them from the heart, without thinking too much about it, just her opinions of the country as it unfolds to her; her impressions often change back and forth as her time there goes along.  The short cameos of the people she meets are always so vivid; I can usually see exactly what they are like (particularly those with whom she has a less than totally positive experience!); there's a touch of Bill Bryson about her style.  The star of the show in this case, of course, was Everlasting himself, who sounded delightful.  Oh, and that's something else that I like ~ her portraits pick out the amusing aspects without ever being patronising.  I am always left feeling that part of Jo doesn't want to go home to her First World life... 



In poverty stricken countries such as this one, Jo Carroll delivers a fair and uncomplicated view of the problems facing the country.  In the case of Malawi, she felt she was going round in circles as she talked to aid workers from large organisations, villagers who were helping themselves, independent aid providers, tourists and white settlers.  She has a way of picking out the essential information, but her delivery is never preachy, and there is much else to enjoy, simply about the beauty of her surroundings and her experiences.  With every book she writes, it makes me want to visit the country.  Thus, as far as I can see, her work is done!

Everlasting is only novella length, I read it in one evening, and I recommend it most highly if you have any interest in this sort of book.







4 comments:

  1. Reading Bombs and Butterflies at the moment on your recommendation of Jo's writing, Terry. Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my favourite things, Judith - when I recommend a book to a friend and he/she loves it! Hurrah! :) So pleased. If you like that one, you could try this one next, or Frogs and Frigate Birds. :)

      Delete
    2. The title are wonder!! Will have to try Frogs and Frigate Birds next. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Many, many thanks, Terry - I knew you'd 'get it!'

    ReplyDelete