Monday 27 February 2017

DESERT PLACES by Blake Crouch

4.5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


How I discovered this book: I've read and reviewed several of this author's (click author tag at the bottom if you would like to see them), and couldn't resist trying another.

I love a nice bit of Blake Crouch when I've been writing all day and want a nice easy read with a cracking good plot that I know will keep me turning the pages.  Desert Places was no disappointment.  It's about a super-successful writer, Andrew Thomas, who, at the peak of his career, gets a note from a stranger to say that a body has been buried on his land, and that the sender of the note has all the evidence he needs to get Andrew convicted for the murder.  To say any more would be to give away the plot, but it's a belter.  Plenty of fast action, surprises, and situations that you'll think can't possibly be remedied as the plot travels from beautiful, rural North Carolina to the deserts of Wyoming.

It's pretty grisly in places, but not excessively so, and not just for the sake of it.  It's not great literature, it's popular fiction, and a fine example of its type.  Good enough for me to nip over to Amazon and download the next in the Andrew Z Thomas/Luther Kite series, anyway!  

 

4 comments:

  1. Another for my TBR pile! Thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, you have to read it if only to get to the sequel, which I'm reading now - Locked Doors, which is a definite 5 star - really well plotted, just the right balance between character POVs, and the suspense is killing me!!!

      Delete
  2. Always love your reviews, and I am really drawn by this one!I can handle grisly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'd love Blake Crouch, Noelle! I think I've read about seven of his now.

      Delete