Friday 26 August 2016

ATOMIC NUMBER SIXTY by Dave Johnston

3 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


Reviewed by me as a member of Rosie Amber's Review Team

This is an unusual book, split into sixty chapters that take one minute to read, each.  It's based around a girl called Holly, her parents, friends, love life and thoughts on life.

It's pleasant enough to read, certainly 'high speed reading' for today's busy lives, and quite funny in places but generally I felt the humour missed the mark and the 'kookiness' of the characters was overdone; the quality wasn't as consistent as it needs to be for a book this short.  The main character is female but her 'voice' seemed male to me; it's often quite challenging to write as the opposite sex.  Also, there are quite a few punctuation errors and an excess of exclamation marks that I found irritating.

It's a great concept, clever, but I think more thought should have gone into the actual writing.  Sorry I can't be more positive, but a review is only one opinion; I'm sure a lot of others will like it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment