Sunday 21 February 2016

SEAN FREEMAN (The DCI Jones Casebook) by Kerry J Donovan

4 out of 5 stars

British detective thriller

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


Reviewed by me for Rosie Amber's Book Review Team


I read another of Kerry Donovan's books, 'On Lucky Shores' for Rosie's review blog, which I liked a lot, so chose to review this one as soon as it was submitted.  Whereas 'On Lucky Shores' is an all-American mystery thriller set in Colorado, this is a traditional British detective type story.  I think Donovan's American mode has the slight edge, but this one also stands up well next to the best in its genre. 

The first part of the novel consists of two storylines: DCI Jones and his merry throng in the present day, and locksmith turned jewel thief Sean Freeman's journey into the dangerous criminal underworld of Digby Parrish.  Eventually, the two threads come together.... 

This book's plot is quite a masterpiece, so well thought out, with plenty of nice little twists that I didn't see coming at all.  I was most impressed by the research that had obviously taken place to make the details authentic, but this is woven artfully into the storyline and is never obtrusive.  The characterisation is terrific, in particular Digby Parrish (wonderfully scary!) and Detective Charlie Pelham, the latter of whom is a stereotypical 1970s throwback type of crime fighter - very funny!  I liked DCI Jones, who is a little eccentric in a mild sort of way, and Sean Freeman is one of those criminals who you find yourself rooting for - I always admire a writer who can make you root for the 'baddie'!  I must applaud the dialogue all the way through the book, too. 

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a good, current, British crime thriller.  Kerry Donovan is a most talented wordsmith and I hope to read more from him soon.

ON LUCKY SHORES by Kerry J Donovan reviewed HERE 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one Terry, British crime thrillers are certainly a popular genre with readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know - and with writers, it seems! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Terry,

    Thanks for this excellent and thoughtful review. I'm really glad you liked my home-based trope.

    Just spoken to my mate David Jones who says, "Eccentric? Me? Not a bit of it. It's the rest of the world that's out of step with me, but you're entitled to your opinion no matter how erroneous it is."

    As for Sean Freeman, he's not available for comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I love it, say hi to David for me! And Sean, when you see him ;).

      I'll read another one some time :)

      Delete
  3. Love the sound of this, Terry. It’s already on my list

    ReplyDelete