Sunday 21 June 2015

THE BASTARD PRINCESS by G Lawrence

5 GOLD Stars

Historical fiction based on fact

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE



I adored this book.  It's a first person account of Elizabeth I, from her earliest, hazy memories of her mother, Anne Boleyn, to the rightful taking of the throne by her sister, Mary Tudor.  If the next one in the series, The Heretic Heir, had been available already I would have downloaded it straight away and been reading it now instead of writing this review!



Ms Lawrence has a real talent, and I'm delighted to see that this book is selling well on both sides of the Atlantic.  I worship at the altar of such historical fiction authors as Phillipa Gregory and Norah Lofts and, honestly, this is as good.  The story is written simply, the language is perfect for the time, the style clear and highly readable, and the factual element not only accurate but so detailed, teaching me more about this period than I already knew.  It's the best story of Elizabeth I've read, and illustrates every impression I have always had of her, from her old head on young shoulders to the reasons why she chose never to marry.  Ms Lawrence's young Elizabeth is impulsive, passionate, wise, philosophical ~ there are some wonderful passages: 

"It is a great sadness of this life that those who are dull of wit and understanding are sure enough of their beliefs , whereas those who are intelligent and wise know only too well that they can never know everything."

"But love is a complicated and jealous friend at the best of times.  Even the littlest infraction can lead the heart of one who loves deeply to suspect the darkest of things.  We are such fragile creatures, when we give our love to another."

This book will delight all fellow Tudor addicts, and I hope it does as well for the author as it should ~ it's magical.




THE HERETIC HEIR (the follow up) reviewed HERE






8 comments:

  1. Great review--it had me reaching for that Amazon one-click! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Barb, that pleases me greatly! I know you'll love it. I first read Gemma's stuff on Wattpad (she's @TudorTweep on Twitter) and we would chat about all things Tudor, so I was so pleased when she finally published a novel. Only trouble is, it's so good I couldn't write anything myself after reading it!

      Delete
  2. Sounds fabulous. Thanks for this Terry, like Barb I'm straight over to Amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - I'm as pleased as if it was one of mine, Alison!

      Delete
  3. This sounds great and I'm putting it on my personal list. Thank you for the recommendation, Terry :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Gemma she HAD to submit to book bloggers, Ali! I sent her my list of them, and also that feature you did for me ages ago about how best to approach them. You'll love it! x

      Delete
  4. This really does sound like a must read, Terry!

    ReplyDelete